Enrolling your children into martial arts programs seems like a good idea, right? It certainly is, as martial arts teach children valuable lessons and self-defence. Both of which are notably worthy assets for children. Before you send your child off to their first class, it’s essential to understand the type of martial art they will be learning and what it stands for. One of the more popular and worthwhile types of martial arts for kids includes Krav Maga for kids. So what is Krav Maga and what lessons does it teach your child? Throughout this article, we’ll discuss the meaning behind Krav Maga for kids and how it positively impacts children.
Krav Maga Benefits for Kids
Known as one of the best martial arts for children, Krav Maga offers numerous benefits that are very profitable to children. The many benefits include:
- Helping children reach their goals. Many children know what they want to achieve, but often have a difficult time discovering how to get there. Krav Maga allows children to get a better understanding of how to work towards their goals. Through the process of graduating from belt to belt, children begin to understand that they cannot just jump from beginning to end. Instead, they must work step by step to make it to the top. With this system, children learn patience and that any goal is achievable, with the right dedication and work.Many children know what they want to achieve, but often have a difficult time discovering how to get there. Krav Maga allows children to get a better understanding of how to work towards their goals. Through the process of graduating from belt to belt, children begin to understand that they cannot just jump from beginning to end. Instead, they must work step by step to make it to the top. With this system, children learn patience and that any goal is achievable, with the right dedication and work.
- Confidence builder. Confidence can be something that many children lack. It can be challenging to build up a child’s confidence, especially when they are young. With children martial arts, it provides them with a sense of accomplishment, thus giving them a confidence boost. Teaching your child to defend themselves is a skill that many kids do not have, which makes your child feel special and sparks their confidence.
- Understanding of commitment. When your child joins a Krav Maga academy, they are dedicated to learning and mastering the practice. Commitment is a valuable skill that transfers over favourably to significant life factors such and school and the workforce.
Finding the Best Krav Maga School for Your Child
Just as with any program, children martial arts is always taught better by a good leader. With so many different Krav Maga for kids options out there, it may be overwhelming to decide on one school. The best advice is to do your research. Consulting with an expert in the field is also a wise idea, as they can provide more clarity. Look for a school with a reputable track record and meet with the instructors first. If you feel a sense of trust, that is usually a good sign.
Krav Maga is Great for Young Children
How young is too young? Martial arts for toddlers is never a bad idea. Enrolling a toddler is a great way to expose them to the martial arts environment at a tender age. They will learn valuable lessons that will help them greatly in their early childhood. Krav Maga for toddlers involves a much more fundamental routine, as young children lack the fine motor coordination that older kids have. Considering that, the ideal Krav Maga starting age is five years of age.
Krav Maga Techniques
Krav Maga training involves a variety of different techniques that will teach your child skills such as strength, patience, and control. Some of the drills your child will learn to perform include:
MatteDeveloping Jumping SkillsSmashing WallsRollsPunching and Kicking
Known as “stop” in Japanese, this is a very powerful word that your child will learn early on. We use Matte for two scenarios; when the instructor wants to end a drill and move to the next one and as an indication that a student feels pain from a technique. Matte is an essential word that instructors must incorporate into all Krav Maga for kids classes.
Jumping skills are crucial for children to learn early on in Krav Maga training. To help students develop these skills, we set up punching shields a fair distance apart, and ask kids to bunny hop with both legs over the guards. Height levels will increase as the students get more advanced with the technique.
Krav Maga is all about being confident and courageous, and that is what this technique represents. Just as it sounds, a wall is set up for students to run into and smash. This activity promotes students to overcome their fears and hesitations.
Learning how to roll in various directions is a simple yet distinctive tactic for Krav Maga training. Students will learn how to perform forward and backwards rolls.
These techniques are probably the most familiar. Known as the aggressive part of the training, students will run up to punching shields and either kick or punch them while shouting. This self-defence technique is a way to teach children how to break out of a crowd.
Krav Maga for kids not only helps child development but also teaches them fundamental real-life skills. Below are some real-life examples:
- Builds an extreme amount of confidence
- Improves child’s nutrition
- Drastically advance balance and coordination
- Considerably heightens self-esteem
- Develops healthy exercise habits
Enrolling your child in a martial arts program has only proven to be beneficial. Everyone wants their child to develop essential skills such as patience and confidence, and often have a difficult time finding the right avenue to do so. That’s where Krav Maga comes in. Students come out of training full of confidence, strength and high self-esteem, skills that any parent would want their child to have. The next time you are considering enrolling your child in an extracurricular activity, think about Krav Maga before anything else. The benefits and skills your child will learn are like no other comparable. To learn more about Krav Maga, please visit our website or give us a call anytime to inquire about enrolling your child. We can’t wait to teach your child the art of self-defence!